Yoga is a tradition that has been practiced for more than 5,000 years, so it isn’t surprising that the practice has many different health benefits. Today, the western exercise known as “yoga” usually means the repetition of asanas or poses that are part of an age-old religious practice detailed in the Yoga Sutras. This Western version of Yoga gives its practitioners a multitude of health benefits both physically and mentally. Below are our top health benefits of yoga and why you should consider beginning your practice with one of our professionals during your stay at Zoetry Wellness & Spa Resorts.
1) Yoga increases flexibility: You can improve flexibility at any age and studies show yoga can improve flexibility 35% in just eight weeks.
2) Yoga increases strength: Holding poses during a yoga session increases strength and endurance – especially in core muscles.
3) Yoga improves posture: Increased strength and flexibility combined with a heightened awareness of your body leads to better posture.
4) Yoga improves breathing: The deep breathing that goes in conjunction with holding and changing poses increases lung capacity.
5) Yoga improves the heart’s functions: Yoga lowers blood pressure and slows heart rate, reducing stress on the vital organ.
6) Yoga improves the ability to concentrate and boosts the mood: Scientists suspect these improvements might come from increased oxygen flow to the brain.
7) Yoga decreases stress levels and encourages a calm nature: Yoga lowers levels of stress hormones and includes exercises to help slow a person’s mind chatter.
Yoga is a great exercise because there are so many different poses and it can be a good exercise for every fitness level. When beginning a yoga program, remember to always listen to your body – yoga should never hurt. You should also make sure to begin under the supervision of a professional. This way, you can be sure to keep the correct positions without getting hurt and have the breathing guidance to reap the most benefits from each session.